Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Ahhhh, UO - Good Times

After not renewing my Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning and not really having any other games that I want to play until Star Wars comes out, I thought I'd see how Ultima Online is doing. I scanned over the interweb looking for a suitable private shard, as I never paid a monthly sum to play UO when I was 13, so I wasn't going to start now. I eventually came across a shard that ticked all of the boxes I was looking for, it had a decent population, events run by GMs and an active PvP scene therefore I downloaded the client and some other useful tools and jumped in.

The shard in question is Hybrid, which is running the publish 15/16 build for those OSI fans out there, but from what I can see it's The Second Age (T2A) with the best bits from the subsequent updates bolted on. The shard that has been running for over 10 years and is based in the US, which I thought might be an issue but my ping is steady at 100ms so I'm more than happy with that.

It's been really refreshing to see how willing people have been to give me a helping hand, by freely handing over 50,000 gold pieces, a house and a safe place to macro as let us not forget that this is UO so pretty much no-where is safe [insert evil laugh here].


After a few hours on the Hybrid Forums I had several offers of assistance and guild offers on the table, which again shows just how enthusiastic the players are for wanting to see the population continue to rise. I stumped for a pretty mixed bag of a guild in the end, as in one that enjoys all aspects of the UO experience so PvE, PvP and IDOC'ing, which is a whole new post in itself so I won't go into that!

The shard also limits players to 700 skill points per character, therefore you can't have one avatar to rule them all so you really have to think about how you want to play and what you want to achieve. Fortunately there are lots of guides for templates and tips on how best to raise any skill so it shouldn't take anyone too long to have a functional character, and even more so as the players are so helpful to newbies.

If you're interested I'd recommend checking out the below links:
  1. How to join UOG: Hybrid
  2. A Newbies guide to Hybrid
  3. Common Templates on Hybrid
See you at Brit Bank!

Ish

No comments:

Post a Comment