Sunday, March 06, 2011

The CCENT

So on and off for the past year I've been teaching myself the ICND1 and ICND2 material, in the hope that I will be able to pass the exams for the respective modules.

I wanted to post about an excellent piece of software that I managed to get my hands on called Cisco Packet Tracer. The premise of the tool is that it allows you to emulate a host of Cisco hardware, so your routers, switches etc and have a virtual functioning network at your finger tips.

I am told that you really can't beat having some physical hardware to play around with though, which is why I stumped up the £100 for three 2600 series routers and two 2900 series switches. However as a learning aid to be used in conjunction with the literature and the physical hardware it's brilliant!

I will admit that I've not been as focused as I really should have been in the past few months, but with the new job and what not taking up my time I hope I can be excused. Once settled in my new role (hopefully another week or so) I plan to hit the books and emulators again and really show that exam what I'm made of!

Oh and PS, if you can't get a hold of a copy of CPT then there are some free-to-distribute apps around too, notable GNS3 and Dynamips, which as long as they're configured properly (google some guides) will work just as well.

Ish

No comments:

Post a Comment